Baseball Card Exchange Authentication
Steve Hart, Owner of Baseball Card Exchange, is the hobby's foremost authority of vintage unopened material. He is the only unopened material consultant employed by PSA since they started authenticating unopened packs in 2006. Baseball Card Exchange started authenticating full unopened boxes in 2007 and full unopened cases in 2015.
Unopened packs come in many different forms to include wax, cello, rack and foil. The unopened packs are highly collectible within their original packaging. Tampered packs have become a major problem within the sports collectible industry. Steve Hart estimates a large percentage of non-authenticated unopened material for sale on today’s market shows signs of tampering. This is due to the fact that unopened wax packs are extremely popular with collectors and wrappers and commons can easily be purchased, allowing packs to be created and sold to unsuspecting collectors.
Ensuring an unopened item has been authenticated before buying or selling is extremely important. Vintage sports card values continue to increase in value for mint material and one’s investment must be protected. The following is the process to have an unopened item authenticated by Baseball Card Exchange.
To have your modern items authenticated please click here: Modern Submission Form
For information about Vintage Authentication please click here Vintage Authentication
Modern Authentication Guidelines
The authentication of modern sport and non-sport boxes (no TCG at this time) will be based on three “Tier Levels”. Each tier will have separate guidelines as outlined below.
Tier One – Factory Unopened Box – BBCE Verified
This tier is for boxes that have the original factory shrink wrap as issued from the manufacturer (with logo). Baseball Card Exchange will verify that the box is in fact in its original state as issued from the manufacturer and will then overwrap the original shrink wrap with its Baseball Card Exchange shrink wrap. An allowance will be given for slight tears in the original shrink wrap as long as it does not impact the integrity of the box. There will also be an allowance for imperfections to the box itself as long as we feel that damage has not affected the condition of the packs/cards within the box. Factory Sets may also be submitted at this tier.
Tier Two – Factory Unopened Box – BBCE Verified – (Wrap Removed)
This tier is for boxes that have the original factory shrink wrap as issued by the manufacturer (with logo). However, the customer is requesting that Baseball Card Exchange inspect the box, remove the original factory shrink wrap and wrap the box in Baseball Card Exchange shrink wrap. Tier two is also for boxes in which the wrap is excessively torn or the box has considerable damage as long as it does not impact the integrity of the box. The wrap will be removed and the packs will be inspected. If any of the packs are damaged it will not qualify for Tier Two (The damaged packs may be replaced and the box would then qualify for Tier Three). Factory Sets may also be submitted at this tier.
Tier Three – 36 Unopened Packs Box – BBCE Verified
This tier is for boxes submitted without factory shrink wrap or the wrap has been compromised enough that packs may be removed from the box. For this tier we are inspecting each pack within the box verifying that they have not been tampered with. However, we cannot state that the packs within that box are the original packs issued to that box from the factory. Example; a submitter sends a box of 1993 Upper Deck SP Baseball without the wrap. We will verify each pack as untampered and wrap it as a “24 Unopened Pack Box” (pack counts may vary). The packs within a Tier 3 box may have come from multiple boxes. Factory Sets may not be submitted at this tier. This tier is also for boxes in which the factory shrink wrap is clear (without a logo). Baseball Card Exchange must remove the clear wrap and will verify/inspect the packs before wrapping in Baseball Card Exchange shrink wrap.
Modern Box Authentication Fees
Modern Box Authentication Fees will be based on the Retail value of the item to be authenticated. These prices apply to all tiers. Pricing levels are as follow:
Box value up to $199 $12 per
Box value $200 to $499 $20 per
Box value $500 to $1499 $50 per
Box value $1500 to $2999 $100per
Box value $3000 to $4999 $200per
Box value $5000 to $10,000 $500per
Box value over $10,000 Please call
Customer acknowledges that he/she has read the Baseball Card Exchange (BBCE) Grading Terms and Conditions set forth below, which constitutes an agreement between Customer and BBCE and applies to this and all submissions by Customer to BBCE.
1. Baseball Card Exchange provides the service of authenticating modern sport and non-sport boxes (no TCG at this time).
2. Please note that (a) prices are subject to change without notice; (b) the customer is responsible for shipping charges both ways.
3. BBCE will endeavor to authenticate items within the time frame, if any, offered as part of an authentication service. However, BBCE will have no liability whatsoever to Customer for incidental or consequential damages due to BBCE's failure to authenticate any items within any time frame.
4. Authentication involves individual judgments that are subjective and require the exercise of professional opinion, which can change from time to time. Therefore, BBCE makes no warranty or representation and shall have no liability whatsoever to Customer for the determination made for any submitted item. After the submission and authentication of an item by BBCE, new information may arise or become available that was unavailable at the time a determination of authenticity was assigned by BBCE to any item. BBCE shall have no liability to customer, and BBCE shall be under no obligation to change a determination of authenticity assigned to an item (unless such an item is re-submitted for authentication) to the extent new information arises or becomes available after a determination of authenticity is assigned by BBCE to any item.
5. BBCE will exercise reasonable care in handling items submitted for authentication. However, if BBCE determines that Customer's item was lost or damaged while in BBCE's possession, Customer will be compensated based upon the fair market value of the item as determined by BBCE’s procedures, which may include filing a claim with our insurance carrier. The declared value you provided with this submission is for estimating the insurance coverage only, and the fair market value of the item may be less than your declared value. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE TOTAL LIABILITY EXCEED THE DECLARED VALUE OF THE ITEM. Such compensation shall be Customer's exclusive remedy for any loss or damage.
6. Customer must inspect all items immediately upon receipt and BBCE disclaims any liability for damage or discrepancies or errors unless reported to BBCE within five (5) days of Customer's receipt of the item(s). Customer agrees to return any incorrectly described item to BBCE upon request for correction and agrees to indemnify and hold BBCE harmless from any and all losses and/or claims caused by the circulation or sale of incorrectly described items.
7. Customer agrees (a) to pay to BBCE all pricing and other charges when due; (b) that any delinquent balances shall accrue interest at the rate of 10% per year until paid (or, if less, the maximum interest rate permitted by applicable law); and (c) that BBCE shall have a security interest in the items submitted, as well as in any other property of Customer in the possession of BBCE (collectively, the "Property"), to secure payment thereof. Customer hereby grants to BBCE a lien against the Property in the amount of any pricing and other charges due and payable pursuant to the terms of this Agreement.
8. BBCE shall have no liability whatsoever to Customer, or any third party for whom Customer may be acting, (i) for any personal injury or (ii) any damage to any item, or otherwise, resulting from the breaking open of BBCE shrinkwrap packaging, or for any damage to any item that BBCE can reasonably demonstrate occurred while the item was not in the custody or control of BBCE including, but not limited to, loss or damage to items while being shipped to BBCE, or while being shipped by BBCE to Customer by a method selected and paid for by Customer.
9. Except as expressly set forth herein to the contrary, BBCE DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, REGARDING BBCE'S GOODS AND SERVICES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
10. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, THE MAXIMUM AGGREGATE LIABILITY THAT BBCE SHALL HAVE TO CUSTOMER, OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR WHOM THE CUSTOMER MAY BE ACTING, ARISING FROM ANY CAUSE, ACT, OMISSION OR OTHER CIRCUMSTANCE, SHALL IN NO EVENT EXCEED THE GRADING CHARGES OR LESS ACTUALLY PAID BY CUSTOMER FOR THE GRADING SERVICES RENDERED BY BBCE WITH RESPECT TO THE ITEMS SUBMITTED FOR GRADING HEREUNDER. IN NO EVENT SHALL BBCE OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES, OR ANY OF ITS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS OR AGENTS, BE LIABLE TO CUSTOMER OR ANY OTHER PARTY FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
11. If any items are being submitted for a third party, Customer represents and warrants that such third party has agreed and accepted this Agreement and has signed a duplicate copy hereof. Customer agrees to provide that third party signed copy to BBCE at any time upon its request.
12. This Agreement is delivered and accepted in the State of Indiana and it is the intention of the parties that it be governed by and construed in accordance with the substantive laws of that State, without regard to conflicts of laws principles. The parties hereby consent to personal jurisdiction of the state and federal courts sitting in Lake County, Indiana with respect to any legal action to enforce the terms and conditions of this Agreement or otherwise arising under or with respect to this Agreement, and agree that those courts shall be the exclusive venue for the bringing of such action. Each of Customer and BBCE agrees that the prevailing party shall be entitled to an award of its reasonable attorney's fees, costs and expenses.
13. The terms and provisions in this Agreement and the Customer Agreement, if applicable, constitute the entire agreement of BBCE and Customer (and any third party for whom Customer may be acting) regarding, and supersede all prior agreements and understandings (written or oral) between or among such parties relating to, the subject matter hereof. If any term or provision of this Agreement is determined, by a final and non-appealable ruling or order of a court of competent jurisdiction, to be invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, such invalidity or unenforceability shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any of the other terms or provisions of this agreement.
14. Submit your Modern Authentication to Baseball Card Exchange by shipping to the address below. Make sure to include your submission form.
Baseball Card Exchange, Inc.
Attn: Authentication (Modern)
2412 US Highway 41
Schererville, IN 46375
“From Sealed Case” – Only boxes that are removed from a sealed case by us will be marked as “From Sealed Case”.
If you place an order through our website for a box that does not come in our wrap, and would like it wrapped, just make a note in the comments section of your order and we will wrap it and charge accordingly.
We will not authenticate individual packs. This service is provided by PSA.
To have your modern items authenticated please click here: Modern Submission Form